New Delhi: The focus of the Department’s welfare effort is on the requirements of the poorest households as represented by the socially, educationally and economically marginalized sections of the society including Scheduled Castes (SCs), Other Backward Classes, Senior Citizens, Victims of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, Transgender Persons, Beggars, Denotified and Nomadic Tribes (DNTs), Economically Backward Classes (EBCs) and Economically Weaker Section (EWS). The details of the Scheme being implemented by this Department for the welfare of Scheduled Castes, Senior Citizens and Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) are at Annexure-I.
The Ministry ensures monitoring of the Schemes to enhance transparency and accountability and checks the misuse of funds in the following manner –
- Only online proposals by NGOs through e-Anudaan portal are considered for release of grants-in-aid.
- The proposals of NGOs are considered on the basis of recommendations and satisfactory inspection reports of the State/UT Governments, and completeness of the proposals in all respects as per the guidelines of the scheme.
- Subsequent grants are released to the implementing agencies, only on receipt of audited statement of accounts duly verified by Chartered Accountants and utilization certificates of the grants released in the previous year.
- Performances of the NGOs are also monitored from time to time through random surprise inspections conducted by officers and PMU State Coordinators of the Ministry and representatives of State Governments. On the basis of the inspection report, necessary corrective action is taken.
- The Ministry sponsors evaluation studies from time to time through independent evaluation agencies, inter-alia, to check proper utilization of funds by the implementing agencies under various Schemes/Programmes.
- NGOs have to install CCTV and live feed has to be provided on its website.
- NGOs registered on PFMS and implementing EAT Module for the purpose of proactive disclosure of their activities to the Public.
On the basis of the inspection report, necessary corrective action is taken. In respect of deficiencies reported, show cause notices are issued to the NGOs concerned and follow up action is taken on the basis of the replies received. In cases of misuse of funds, malfunctioning, non-functioning or deficient performance etc., the defaulting NGO is blacklisted and grant from the Government to the project is discontinued, after following the extant procedure.
Based on the report of inspection by PMU, this Department has stopped 170 projects in year 2020-21 & 43 projects in year 2021-22.
List of Schemes being implemented for the welfare of SCs and Senior Citizens and Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) by the Government
A. Department of Social Justice & Empowerment
|SN||Name of the Scheme||Remarks|
|1||Pre-Matric Scholarship to the SC Students Studying in classes IX & X||From the Financial year 2021-22, these schemes have been merged and rename as “Pre-Matric Scholarship to the SC Students And others”.|
|2||Pre-Matric Scholarship to the Children of those engaged in occupations involving cleaning and prone to health hazards|
|3||Post matric Scholarship for SC|
|4||Special Central Assistance to Scheduled Caste Sub Plan||From the Financial year 2021-22, these schemes have been merged and rename as “ PradhanMantri – Anusuchit Jati Abhyuday Yozana (PM –AJAY ) ”.|
|5||BabuJagjivan Ram ChhatrawasYojanafor Girls and Boys|
|6||Pradhan MantriAdarsh Gram Yojana|
|7||Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955|
|8||Grant-in-Aid to Voluntary and other Organizations working for Scheduled Castes||From the Financial year 2021-22, this Schemes has been re-named as “Scheme for Residential Education for Students in High Schools in Targeted Areas (SHRESHTA)|
|9||National Action Plan for Senior Citizens (NAPSrC)]||Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) – is umbrella Schemes effective since 1.4.2021 has following schemes
B. Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities:
(i) Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS),
(ii) Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids/Appliances Scheme (ADIP),
(iii) Scheme for Implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (SIPDA),
(iv) Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
- Pre-Matric ( For Class IX & X)
- Post Matric ( For XI to Post Graduate Degree/Diploma)
- Scholarships to Top Class Education
- National Overseas Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
- National Fellowships for persons with Disabilities
- Free Coaching for Students with Disabilities
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri A. Narayanaswamy in a written reply in the Lok Sabha today.